University of Northern Iowa Academic Advising Mission Statement
Office of Academic Advising Vision Statement
Office of Academic Advising Mission Statement
Office of Academic Advising Goals
- Teaching and guiding students to think critically, seek out resources, and take action steps. Advising goals include helping students to:
- Find/create logic in their education
- View the curriculum as a whole
- Make educational choices based on a developing sense of self
- Enhance learning experiences by relating them to previously learned knowledge
- Working with a network of students and colleagues to support the institutional and academic advising mission and goals of the University.
- Facilitating and supporting quality campus-wide academic advising and advisor development.
Office of Academic Advising Values
- Advisors are responsible to the people they advise.
- Advisors are responsible for involving others, when appropriate, in the advising process.
- Advisors are responsible to their institutions.
- Advisors are responsible to higher education.
- Advisors are responsible to their educational community.
- Advisors are responsible for their professional practices and for themselves personally.
Office of Academic Advising Learning Outcomes
By working with an academic advisor during their first year at UNI, students will:
- Learn the Liberal Arts Core, academic introductory courses and requirements
- Discover their strengths, skills, values, and abilities
- Understand their academic success, connect with campus resources, and support systems
- Engage with faculty, staff, students, participate in organizations, clubs, and activities in our inclusive community
- Explore career and professional resources to develop a personalized plan for their academic, career, and life goals