Academic Advising is a critical component of the teaching and learning environment at UNI. Advising is a personalized educational experience, empowering students to explore, articulate, and achieve their academic, career and life goals.
Office of Academic Advising Vision Statement
Academic advising leaders who empower student success and persistence.
Office of Academic Advising Mission Statement
The Office of Academic Advising promotes student engagement, purpose and persistence through academic advising by guiding them through transitions, connections and resources.
Office of Academic Advising Goals
The Office of Academic Advising serves the mission of academic advising at UNI through:
- Teaching and guiding students to think critically, seek out resources and take action steps. Advising goals include helping students to:
- Find/create logic in their education
- View the curriculum as a whole
- Make educational choices based on a developing sense of self
- Enhance learning experiences by relating them to previously learned knowledge
- Working with a network of students and colleagues to support the institutional and academic advising mission and goals of the university.
- Facilitating and supporting quality campus-wide academic advising and advisor development.
Office of Academic Advising Learning Outcomes
By working with an academic advisor during their first year at UNI, students will:
- Learn the General Education/UNIFI, academic introductory courses and requirements
- Discover their strengths, skills, values and abilities
- Understand their academic success, connect with campus resources and support systems
- Engage with faculty, staff and students, and participate in organizations, clubs and activities in our inclusive community
- Explore career and professional resources to develop a personalized plan for their academic, career and life goals
NACADA: The Global Community for Academic Advising
All academic advisors in the Office of Academic Advising are members of NACADA: The Global Community for Academic Advising.
We utilize and follow the four pillars documents of Academic Advising as endorsed by NACADA: The Global Community for Academic Advising:
Scholarly Work and Reports
The Office of Academic Advising is committed to the growth of the field of academic advising, improving best practices, and increased student success. In coordination with NACADA's Concept of Academic Advising and the CAS Standards for Academic Advising, the Office of Academic Advising continues to be a leader in the progression of the field of academic advising and the profession's best practices.