First-Year Student Advising
Your academic advisor is an important resource who will help you be successful as a student at UNI. All first-year students are assigned to an academic advisor either in the Office of Academic Advising or an individual in a specific college or department. Who your advisor will be depends on your major. Your advisor will help you:
- Plan which classes you will take
- Understand how to register for classes
- Know what to do if you are struggling in a class
- Discover your interests and skills and connecting with the experiences that will help you reach your goals
We advise first-year students majoring in:
- Automation Engineering Technology
- Communication Disorders
- Communication (Liberal Arts)
- Communication-Theatre Teaching
- Communication / Digital Media
- Communication / Public Relations
- Construction Management
- Electrical Engineering Technology
- Environmental Resource Management - Ecosystems Track
- Environmental Resource Management - Geosystems Track
- Family Services
- Geographic Information Science
- Graphic Technology
- History - Non-Teaching
- Interactive Digital Studies
- Manufacturing Engineering Technology
- Nursing - Traditional Track
- Physics - Teaching
- Political Science
- Pre-Nursing - Traditional Track
- Pre-Radiography - Traditional Track
- Pre-Sonography - Traditional Track
- Public Administration
- Radiography - Traditional Track
- Social Work
- Sonography - Traditional Track
- Technology and Engineering Education - Teaching
- Technology Management
If you are a first-year student declared in one of the majors, get started with your academic advising now by calling 319-273-3406 to schedule a meeting with your academic advisor!
If your major is not listed above, that’s ok! You can find out who your advisor is through your Student Center.
- Log-in to MyUniverse and click on "Student Center."
- Your assigned academic advisor will be listed in the column on the right.
- Click “Details” to view their contact information.
If you don't see an academic advisor listed, please contact the Office of Academic Advising at (319) 273-3406 or email@example.com for assistance.
Our academic advisors want to help you succeed at UNI!
Students advised in the Office of Academic Advising will meet with their academic advisor in September to discuss their major and career plans. We help students understand their major requirements and prepare for upcoming semesters. In October, students are invited to participate in Majors in Minutes, an event designed to connect you with senior students in your major of choice. Finally, in early November, you will meet with your advisor to prepare for spring course registration.