Our Exploratory Program
If you are exploring majors and are not ready to declare, you’re not alone! UNI offers an Exploratory Program to help you decide on a major that is the best fit for you. In Fall 2023, the exploratory major was the largest “major” at UNI for students new from high school.
Is the Exploratory Program For You?
- You have many interests and aren’t ready to commit to one major yet
- You aren’t comfortable making such a big decision without help from an academic advisor or professor
- You aren’t aware of what careers you can pursue with certain majors (example: What can I do with a history major?)
- You feel there are too many choices and need help exploring options to make an informed decision
- You're torn between two majors and just don't know how to decide on one
- Your parents want you to study something that is ‘practical’ – that is, leads right to a specific job – but you're not sure that’s the path you want to follow
How do Exploratory Majors Engage with their Advisor?
The Exploratory Advantage
UNI's exploratory program helps you explore areas of interest before committing to a specific major. As an exploratory student, you are assigned to an academic advisor who helps you explore possibilities in majors and careers.
Exploring majors is a process. Exploratory students are encouraged to be proactive, engaged and collaborative with their academic advisor. Your academic advisor is a guide to understanding your unique career goals and connecting them to possible majors.
Note: Exploratory is not a degree granting program – a student must declare a major, and complete the requirements for that academic program, in order to earn a degree from the university.
Major & Career Exploration Resources
Our academic advisors have planned programs and resources to help you navigate the exploration process.